5 Things You Need to Know About The Takata Exploding Airbag Recall
1. Chrysler is expanding its recall of cars containing Takata exploding airbags.
- 2005 Chrysler 300, 300C, SRT8
- 2005 Dodge Dakota pickup
- 2004-2005 Dodge Durango
- 2005 Dodge Magnum
- 2003-2005 Dodge Ram 1500 pickup
- 2003-2005 Dodge Ram 2500 pickup
- 2003-2005 Dodge Ram 3500 pickup
2. Mazda has also expanded its Takata airbag-related recall.
Mazda’s recall has been expanded to include drivers-side airbags.So now the recall includes all the Gulf coast states and both the passenger and driver airbags on the following models:
- 2004-2008 RX-8 sports car
- 2004-2008 Mazda6 sedan
3. Current owners may not be getting recall notices from car makers.
Many of the recalled cars are older and many have changed hands more than once.
4. NHTSA has called on Takata to do a nationwide recall, but Takata has refused.
Takata has refused, claiming first that there’s not enough evidence to support recall, and also claiming that legally NHTSA does not have the authority to order a recall from an original parts supplier
5. There are 5 confirmed deaths from Takata airbags exploding inside cars.
When the airbag goes off, the propellant explodes, sending shrapnel at high speed towards the occupants of the car.